When you decide to travel, there are lots of things that you’ll need to think about. It can be very easy to forget to do something, or to miss something essential off your packing list. As experienced travellers ourselves, we have taken many trips and have learned lots of lessons over the years. Here are out top tips for enjoying your trip and making sure that everything goes as smoothly as possible:
- Plan. Even if you are going to plan your trip as you go along, it’s still a good idea to have some ideas in mind. For example, if you were travelling to Asia or Australia, have an idea of the places you want to visit and the routes that you might take. Have guidebooks to hand for the place that you want to go to and do some research into transport options.
- Make sure that you have everything you need to stay safe and healthy. Consult with a doctor to check that you’ve had all necessary vaccinations at least a few weeks in advance, as some might require more than one dose. If you’re travelling to somewhere with mosquitoes, make sure that you have a net. Drink plenty of water if you’re in a warmer climate, but research whether or not it is safe to drink the tap water as often it isn’t. In this case, stock up on plenty of bottled water to stay hydrated.
- Have your wits about you at all times. This is especially important if you are travelling alone. Don’t drink too much alcohol, don’t leave valuable items on display and keep to well-lit areas at night. Trust your instinct – it will usually be right.
- Make lists. When you’re travelling or planning to travel, you won’t be able to remember everything. Things will occur to you at the most inconvenient times so write them down for future reference. It might be as simple as somewhere that you’d like to visit, or it could be something really important that you need to remember to pack. Either way, it’s a shame to forget so add it to your list.
- Start planning well in advance. Even if it won’t actually take you that long to prepare for your trip, it will be a massive weight off your mind to know that everything is sorted. Think about options for baggage – will you use a rucksack or a suitcase? Sort your insurance early and check that you’re covered for everything. Make sure you have plenty of clothes, and if you’re travelling to somewhere religious or want to visit temples, consider the fact that you’ll need to be more covered up. It’s also advisable to have more than one pair of sturdy, comfortable shoes in case one pair rubs.
- Stop worrying and enjoy yourself! When you go away, be it on holiday or on a backpacking trip around the world, it is never going to be perfect. It’s inevitable that things won’t always go to plan, so there’s no point in worrying about it. Enjoy the experience that you’re having and treat everything as an opportunity to learn and experience new things.